Embotape Indications for use
- Pyrantel embonate is a broad spectrum anthelmintic. Indicated for use in the horse for the control and treatment of adult infections of large and small strongyles, Pinworms, Roundworms, Tapeworms.
- Pyrantel embonate has a broad spectrum of activity, including activity against:
- Large strongyles: Stronglylus vulgaris, S. edentatus, S. equinus.
- Small strongyles:Trichonema spp. (Cyathostomes), Triodontophorus spp.
- Pinworms: Oxyuris equi, Probstmayria vivipara.
- Large roundworms: Parascaris equorum.
- Tape worms: Anoplocephala perfoliata.
Contra-indications of Embotape use
- Not for use in foals less than 4 weeks of age.
- Contraindicated in known sensitivity to pyrantel and in severely debilitated animals.
Special warnings for target species
Care should be taken to avoid the following practices because they increase the risk of development of resistence and could ultimately result in ineffective therapy:
•Too frequent and repeated use of anthelmintics from the same class, over an extended period of time.
•Underdosing, which may be due to underestimation of weight or misadministration of the product..
Suspected clinical cases of resistence to anthelmintics should be further investigated using appropriate tests (e.g. Faecal Egg Count Reduction Test). Where the results of the test(s) strongly suggest resistance to a particular anthelmintic, an anthelmintic belonging to another pharmacological class and having a different mode of action should be used.
Resistance to pyrantel has been reported in cyathostomes in horses (widespread in the USA and Canada). Therefore the use of this product should be based on local (regional, farm) epidemiological information about susceptibility of nematodes and recommendations on how to limit further selection for resistence to anthelmintics.
For further information on this wormer please see the link below
Have you read our blog on horse worm management?
Check out worm egg count kits here and equisal tapeworm kits here