Free Delivery on all orders over £39
Switch is a pour-on solution formulated to aid in the control of Sweet Itch.
Switch is a long-lasting insecticide and fly repellent which rapidly kills biting insects. It can provide up to one week’s protection from each application. Switch can be used on both horses and donkeys.
When To Use
- Warmer months
- Use before the start of the season to help prevent Sweet Itch developing
- Switch can also be used throughout the winter, if necessary
Signs of Sweet Itch
Switch is most commonly used to combat Sweet Itch, a condition thought to affect about 5% of horses in the UK. Sweet Itch is most common in horses aged 1-5 years in the warmer months, when midges and flies are more common, although it can also occur in the winter. Once a horse has had Sweet Itch, it tends to re-occur annually for the lifetime of the animal.
Typically affected areas include; the top of the tail and back, base of mane/forelock, withers and face. Signs include:
- Itching/rubbing infected areas
- Hair loss
- Skin thickening or discolouration
- Restlessness, agitation or pacing
- Excessive grooming
- Scabs or crust
What Else Can I Do?
Follow the below guidelines for helping to prevent Sweet Itch:
- Use well drained fields for grazing
- Stable horses during periods of peak midge activity such as dawn and dusk
- Use fly rugs during midge season
- Use a fan in the stable
- Graze on high, windy ground if possible
- Application Guidelines
- Apply the following amount (up to a maximum of 40ml) to areas most commonly affected such as the mane and rump.
- The bottle features a calibrated dispensing chamber for easy application.
Handle product with care and do not let the product come into contact with cats.
Dose and administration
Switch should be applied weekly from early spring onwards, to help prevent the sweet itch from occurring in the first place.
- Less than 100kg 10ml
- 101-200kg 20ml
- 201-300kg 30ml
- Over 300kg 40ml
Apply the appropriate amount (up to 40ml) to areas most affected by the sweet itch, these are most commonly the mane and hindquarters. The bottle includes a calibrated dispensing chamber for easy application.
Switch contains a unique formulation with Permethrin as the active ingredient at a concentration of 4%. The unique non-greasy formula also contains another insect killing/repellent ingredient Butyl Dioxitol